There are many reasons that you may need to visit a periodontist and it is important to find the right one for you. A periodontist is a dentist that specializes in the structures that support your teeth, such as your gums. A periodontist will also study and specialize in the diseases that accompany those structures, such as gum disease. Some of the other supporting structures, besides gums, that help support your teeth include alveolar bone, cementum, and the periodontal ligament.
Since periodontists have many different roles, it is important to seek out the right dentist for you and your needs. If you are looking for dental implants, then you will want to find a dentist that specializes in dental implants, such as a periodontist. You will want to find one that offers the service that you are looking for. Here are some of the tools to use when trying to find the best periodontist for your needs.
- Ask for referrals. If you know others who have used a periodontist before, then it is essential that you ask them for a referral so that you can choose a reputable dentist. You can also send out an email or a message on social media asking for references from periodontists in your area as a way to broaden your audience and get a few names of well respected periodontists.
- Look for reviews online. You can also go online and search for local periodontists in your area and then look up their reviews. Read each review carefully and remember that a lot of people will only write a review if they have had a terrible experience. With that in mind, take each review with a grain of salt and look at a few different reviews at the very least.
- Google it. You can find periodontists in your area by using a search engine, such as Yahoo, Bing, AOL, or Google to find a list of the local periodontists in your area.
- Once you have comprised a list, then you should go online and review their websites to make sure that they offer the same services that you are looking for. You can also find out about their background and even read some reviews on their website. The next step would be to call each office to see if they are accepting new patients and how long the wait time is to get a consultation with that particular periodontist.
- Yellow pages. If you are a little behind the times and still use a paper phone book, then you can also look up dentists and periodontists by thumbing through the yellow pages in your phone book. This is the least effective way as all updated numbers and addresses would appear on their website or in a Google search.
As you can see, there are many different ways that you can use to find the best periodontist that will fit your dental needs. Whether or not you are shopping for dental implants or needing treatment for a periodontal disease, such as gum disease, it is important to find the right periodontist that will offer you the services that you are looking for.